I'm KnittinSue on Ravelry.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Knittin Frenzy

So, I really need to update this thing more often - sorry gang - but I've found Ravelry and now I can't seem to stop searching around there.

What is Ravelry? You say - oh my - it is a thing all by itself - its blogging and pattern data base, and photos of projects and MySpace/Facebook on steroids for fiber fanatics - or knitting freaks. Here is what I just did this past weekend. I bought a book by Elizabeth Zimmerman - a knitting legend. I want to make the Baby Surprise Jacket for a friends newly adopted little girl. I go onto Ravelry and in the pattern search I enter "Baby Surprise Jacket" - or BSJ for us knitting geeks - up comes over 2,000 pictures of BSJ projects completed by others - I can look at a picture of their project, listing the yarn they used, how much they used, the needle size, their comments - I can send them a message, mark it as my favorites, add them as a friend, and the list goes on and on and on. I'm drooling over Ravelry. Hence, this has become the time sucking hole - that every spare moment falls into.

Add work and kids and you have one crazy woman.

So, I plan to get pictures up soon - but until then, this is what I have been knitting:
1. Modular Felted Tote Bag - Finished - large tote in olive, rust and mustard colors - this could be my new knitting bag.
2. Mom's alpaca lace shawl - In Progress - now I must get this done by Mother's Day!
3. Pink stripped socks - In Progress - I always have socks on the needles.
4. Purple hooded baby cardigan - Almost done - not sure who this will be for - maybe Emily.
5. Silver Bell Cardigan - Not Started - Sage green KnitPicks super wash wool - for Hilary, she picked it out.
6. Modern Quilt Wrap - Not Started - I had enough to make two - now that Chelle's is done I can start one for ME! And Lisa is making one too so we can be twinkies.
7. Bath Mat from Mason Dixon Knitting - Not started - I bought the 8-ply cotton cones for this as you hold three strands together - but it will be such a soft absorbant bath mat, can't wait to start.
8. School stripped scarf for Hilary - made a UMD colors one for Erik - and I promised to make a Blue and White stripped one for Hilary -
9. Baby Surprise Jacket in pink cotton - probably for Julie's little girl.
10. Varigated stripped scarf for me - not started.

That's it - now, how long will it take me to get through this list? Can I finish the items in progress and resist the urge to cast on something new? And what new item will trip my fancy as I wonder through Ravelry - something I'll have to do right away, no doubt. Or if I can't hold back the urge to hang out with Karen - we are very bad influences for each other - although she mostly thinks I'm a bad influence on her! - If I can resist Karen, then I have a chance to stick to this very long list - if I can't then I'm doomed - this is how the felted tote got on the list. It wasn't even a twinkle in my eye before a day out and about with Karen - she probably needs a knick name now....

Oh well friends - happy knitting - let's not begin the scrapbooking discussion - and the half finished scrapbook of our trip to Cape Cod last summer - that thing looms over me expecting my time and attention.

2 comments:

Karen said...

The feeling is mutual, darlin' the feeling is mutual!

Anonymous said...

and a weak soul like me is DOOMED when in the presence of SME and Karen!! Spent many hours on a plane this week - the Modern Wrap is looking awesome!! LJH