I'm KnittinSue on Ravelry.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Mittens

I love to knit mittens. Quick projects and so useful. This pattern is called Fiddlehead mittens - you can get a copy on www.helloyarn.com - they sell the pattern individually or in a kit.



Working with 2 colors is so fun. I used Frogtree Alpaca in a purple/burgundy color, and Noro Silk Garden in a varigated. BUT the most fantastic thing about these mittens is that they are lined with a merino and angora blend that is so soft and warm - yummy!

I just purchased a copy of the book Selbuvotter - Biography of a Knitting Tradition, by Terri Shea. I've been planning to buy this book for a while. It is the results of research that was done into the history of two color stranded knitting done by nordic women and the traditions associated with them - especially their place as wedding gifts for guests. So interesting - now I'm on a mission to make some in the traditional black and white colors. Wouldn't they be fabulous with a bright pink or green or red lining?

Knit on my friends....

4 comments:

Karen said...

Hmmm. I love how you say "quick" so blithely there.

Quick for YOU maybe.

Beautiful, as always! And boy do I want to borrow your new book :-)

Sue said...

yes, you do - these mittens are right up your alley!!

sheryltuorila said...

Sue - all this stuff is amazing and so different. You could start your own store. Dang woman, now I just have to get you to come in and finish that mosaic.....

Shellie Shufelt said...

Sue,
These mittens are stunning! How in the world did you knit those swirls? Oh, I have SO much to learn!