I'm KnittinSue on Ravelry.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Another stash buster

I am trying to find small projects that are done and quick to knit plus use up yarn I have piling up. And I have two friends(Ginger and Kathy) that want to learn to knit. Now I could start them with a scarf but that can be really boring. I've come up with this stripped felted glasses case. The color combos are endless and you don't need much yarn so no need to buy anything. This yarn was some I picked up at a yarn store closing - its similar to Malabrigo - and the colors are a purple and a yellow/green on one side, and on the other side I did stripes in the yellow/green and orange.

If you want to make one you need a size 10 or 10 1/2 needle. Left over yarn that is 100% wool and good for felting. Cast on 20 stitches and knit in garter stitch for 70 ridges, changing colors after each ridge. The garter stitch makes the fabric thicker after felting. I changed one of my stripe colors halfway through at ridge #35. You'll end up with a rectangle that is about 4" X 18". Fold in half and seam using a mattress stitch - but on one side, leave a 2" opening down the side to make it easier to get your glasses in - this part is optional, I liked it for the look. Then I did an I cord edge all the way around the top including the vent on the side. You can go here for an I cord edge tutorial.

-- Post From My iPhone

4 comments:

Just Me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

You are such an inspiration ... Glasses cases for EVERYONE next Christmas!!!

Karen said...

And do you have any clue why my picture no longer works? I didn't change anything.... or is it still visible where you are, just not on my computer?

Sue said...

I have no idea - I just added a pic...